Wednesday, April 04, 2007

I was born in the year 1973

(updated 4/8)



I've always wondered what it was like to live in the mid-70s and not soil myself every 2 hours. My only thought ever about Gerald Ford has been that it was a bit of a disconnect awarding him the presidency for having invented the automobile.

Also, (speaking as somebody who hates to dance) obviating any consideration to disco music, I'm keenly aware that 70's music kicks the 60's ass.













With all this in mind, I am very gratified to note a growing trend in today's zeitgeist:

The 70s are back (um... again).





Here are the top five
(admittedly anecdotal) signs
that it is 1973 again:












5. America Ferrera's

outfits in Ugly Betty














4. The U.S. military state of readiness

is starting to resemble

a certain painting by Bosch






3. While remakes of eye-gougingly-bad
70s movies and
other TV fodder is
being thrust upon the unwashed.....















2. ...it is also true (as in the 70s) that crotch-grabbingly good, character / dialogue / script- driven indy movies are coming out every day. You just have to know where to look
(hint: not blockbuster or most movie theaters)
.



and finally...







1. Next year's headlines.








ps there is also the small matter
of what i have been wearing
to work recently

4 comments:

Throbert said...

Hey! I recognize that cardboard brick, and the swinging-basketball-monkey clock, and the table thingy that holds wine bottles. I guess that's Poochy's bed on the floor?

Juanolator said...

No. I took a photo from Google Image Search and pasted my face in.

It's just an awesome coincidence.

:-)

Anonymous said...

I also recognize a cardboard block from childhood in the '70s

Juanolator said...

I used to keep my weed in it. But that was in the 80s so it doesn't count for purposes of this blentry(*) ("blosting"(**)?).

(*) blog entry

(**) blog posting