Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A modest proposal for an alliance

(updated 4/18; added links to external sites and a ps; text remains the same)

I despise guns. Having had one pointed at my head on one occasion, I'm not speaking in a vacuum. But never mind that.

Before we get to the proposal, click on the lovely image to the right to see a (non-violent) video that explains how quickly a 9mm semiautomatic can be repeatedly fired and reloaded (answer, 0.25 seconds and 2 seconds, respectively). Alternatively you may read up on it on Slate's Explainer. Then, try reading aloud without pausing for a breath the following words that describe the loading of a Revolutionary era musket:

To load, a soldier opened his cartridge box, grabbed a cartridge, bit off the end to expose the powder, and poured a small amount into the pan of the lock, closed the pan, dropped the cartridge (powder first) into the barrel, removed his rammer, rammed it home, returned his rammer, and then "made ready" to shoot by cocking his lock, and "presenting" or pointing, his piece to the enemy. There were no sights, just the bayonet lug near the muzzle. The soldier just looked down the barrel. Soldiers were expected to be able to fire a shot every 15 seconds for at least 4 minutes before needing to slow down because of the fouling in the barrel.

(Thanks to: Glenn and Georgeanne for the above text which I 100% did not ask permission to use and for all I know they threaten their children with an elephant gun if they don't pray hard enough -- j/k G's! )
I would like to propose the formation of an unlikely alliance between those of us who believe that the right to "the pursuit of happiness" goes hand-in-hand with a sense of personal responsibility and those individuals, present or future, who as a result of yesterday's massacre in Virginia will feel their voice reinvigorated whenever they speak of "the right to bear arms" being their favorite words in the Constitution (the argument going something like "if the students / teachers / everybody had guns the killer would not have been able to take out more than one or two people").

The proposal is as follows: People who are for the de-criminalization of drugs (be it possession or use) and any other victim-less "crime" (the defining characteristic being that there is no answer to the question of "who is directly harmed?") will from this point on also become ardent defenders of the Second Amendment.

Similarly, in keeping with an intellectually consistent and honest philosophy, Second Amendment supporters will become equally vocal supporters of the repeal of all laws criminalizing victim-less activity, as per the right to "the pursuit of happiness". (Folks, trust me, you have more to gain from this offer; nobody ever died because somebody accidentally dropped a joint.)

These two things must travel together in order for the words that define the USA to make sense, and it is the only way that both groups can have their way honestly.

Either that, or we could just repeal the Second Amendment. There is certainly a precedent for that sort of thing.

-------------

[redacted]

6 comments:

Curt Bolding said...

Well, I’ll tell you what. I’ll write a letter to YOU. For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Curt Bolding, a police veteran since 1981. First off, you obviously didn’t read my article that you’re apparently referring to. I will point out AGAIN the incident that took place in Pearl, Mississippi. I’m sure you’re an ardent follower of school shootings. So am I. I happen to train my officers not just in hand-to-hand combat, but also train them how to react to JUST such a situation as the Virginia Tech massacre. We instituted such training within six months of the Columbine incident. Many intelligent people look at the facts before forming an opinion. Other equally intelligent people select certain facts and discard others to fit their opinion. In Pearl, Mississippi, a few years back, a 16 year old kid entered a school and started shooting. He shot nine people. A brave teacher, who kept a gun in his car, ran out and got it and confronted the shooter. Needless to say, coward that he was, the little rat surrendered immediately. God only knows how many others he’d have shot if that brave teacher hadn’t had the guts and the means to take action. Do I advocate concealed carry laws in my state? You BET I do. I know a lot of officers who don’t. As I said, I’m a trainer, and I always tell my officers to assume that ANYONE they meet is armed. As for the officers who don’t support concealed carry for citizens, I tell them that if they’re that afraid of encountering someone with a gun, then they’re in the wrong job. If a teacher at Virginia Tech had been armed when the violence started, he might have been able to save some lives. Anybody who pulls a gun, let alone starts shooting it, has lost their right not to get shot immediately and repeatedly by me or any rational, responsible citizen. And what, pray tell, does the firing procedure for a musket have to do with anything? As for the “non-violent” police video, I’m going to have to ask you to pull your head out of the sand and take a look at the real world you live in, where everything isn’t puppies and butterflies. When someone steps over the line, we have to take action, and it isn’t always pretty. Incidentally, you’re a bit off with your figures. You state that a 9mm semiautomatic “can be repeatedly fired and reloaded (answer, 0.25 seconds and 2 seconds, respectively).” I think you’ve got your numbers backwards. Even a professional shooter can’t empty a magazine or get off any substantial number of shots in a quarter of a second. A pro might be able to reload that fast, but for the average guy, myself included, it takes one to two seconds to reload. As I said in my article, the rabid gun-grabbers thought they scored themselves a big victory by getting magazine capacity down to ten rounds. Well, guess what? Given how fast most anybody can reload a semi-automatic, all they have to do is carry around as many magazines as they want. You want to repeal the Second Amendment? Yeah, that worked out real well for common folks when Hitler, Stalin, and Pol Pot instituted gun control didn’t it? What you are is a walking victim, ripe for the plucking.

--Curt Bolding

Juanolator said...

OK, thanks for your response.

So you support drug legalization, and if not why not?

Anonymous said...

F.Y.I. Last week Mr. Bolding was arrested on domestic battery charges and suspended from the University of Illinois Police Department.

Juanolator said...

Wow.. I'm shocked.. shocked...

Oh wait, no I'm not.

Anonymous said...

No, of course you're not. In fact, I was defending myself, not that that makes any difference to anyone. Artie should be very proud of his amazing investigative skills; I imagine he has a future in politics. I do in fact support drug legalization, because I don't believe in wasting time and money on victimless crimes. I have since retired. At this point, all I can say is: I can take care of me and mine. What you do is fine by me. Shoot each other, maim each other, argue on the Internet until your fingers fall off. I don't care any more. All your shrieking and posturing and blogging means absolutely nothing in the real world. I'm sure someone will think up a cute answer to this that will put me "in my place," which is fine. Good luck to you all.

Juanolator said...

Hey.. thanks for chiming back in. I hope you've gotten your problems behind you.

We're not here to make fun of people... we're here to make fun of people and make valid points. And.. it seems you and I actually agree! A big slice of libertarianism for everybody!