Tuesday, April 29, 2008

murakami mon ami

Recently I went to see the Takashi Murakami exhibition at the Brooklyn Art Museum.



I had been looking forward to it even before I knew it was coming.. about a year ago I was leafing through my copy of the New Yorker when I happened to see this, as an advert to the US premiere (in LA at the time) retrospective exhibit of his work..

The image “http://www.nothingtodoinla.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/murakami-3.bmp” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.


... I was probably the motionlest rider on that subway car for a good 5-6 stops. It struck me in particular because of the strong anthropomorphic echoes it had in my mind to a (admittedly crude) watercolor I had made a few years ago...

He calls his style "super-flat", which is often belied by by the fact that he excels in the area of sculpture:






So a couple of weeks ago ago I went to see his work (and specifically that one piece, the one I saw in the New Yorker, which is actually about 15 feet wide) live at the Brooklyn Art Museum.

It is some art that makes you move




.. and some art that makes you stand very ,very still




domo arigato


No comments: