Sunday, June 01, 2008

Eating a Reuben

I've always been a fan of artificially promoting forms of expression. You know, like, catchphrases, euphemisms, and just plain trendy misuse of language. In the early 90s I tried to bring back "gear" as an adjective, as in: " The Beatles are gear!", which was seen on a bedsheet sign held up to be read by the Fab Four as they deplaned from their arrival at JFK in 1964, kicking off the British Invasion into overdrive. I could not find a sample of that photograph, even though it has always been iconic in my mind. Still there is this -->

In that vein, I think from now on I will use the phrase "eating a reuben" to refer to someone who is clearly insane and can only express it through political whining (and, while some may be tempted to accuse me of being the pot that called the kettle black, I am specifically referring to the scary video at the end of the article linked here, and I myself have never been caught on tape).

No comments: