Monday, March 31, 2008

...From Broyhill!

(sorry, i've been watching a lot of The Price is Right lately -- it's in high def now you know)

So I was strolling the other day (ok, today) through Guitar World or whatever it's called and I saw this used keyboard...

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/rehobothmusic_1990_20627265

...for $160 (image links to description -- "slim and stylish... from Casio!" whispers Rod Ruddy).

If there is one thing I know about keyboards (and by god there really is only one thing I know about keyboards), regardless of any dearth of features, is that you can't get anything with a full 88 keys, decent or otherwise, for less than $300. So I figured this was my chance to implement my plan to buy a piano and finally, after decades of succeeding to not even try, to learn to play more than the two 30-second twinkly-tink songs I got out of two+ years of Suzuki lessons as a child.

The "plan", in this case, has a built-in escape hatch where if I fail to teach myself (I really don't think this is going to involve other people; just a hunch) then I'm only out $160... a far cry from the $800 I considered for a different model just a couple of months ago at another location.

I've had excellent luck buying marked down, slightly used goods (apparently this model goes for about $500) so I didn't think twice about it. The question now is (which is why I'm bothering to put this out here, there, and everywhere).... what autodidactic method to use? Do you know (first or Nth hand), of an adult who, from scratch, taught itself to play piano? What path(s) did they follow?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I've taught myself a number of instruments to varying degrees of skill using a number of strategies. I would suggest starting with a beginner's book, something like this Adult All-In-One Course or The Piano Handbook, although these are the first two I found poking around on Amazon. Most importantly I think it's important to try different books until you find one that you find "speaks to you." Moreover, it may be that self-learning with a book isn't going to be good for you, and you need to take lessons, or even just a few to get going--investigate that as well.

The most important thing with learning an instrument is to practice. Practice practice practice!