Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I got glasses today

They're just for reading.

I decided to get my vision tested when, recently, after being up for 36 hours I could not read the menu at a restaurant, even holding it at arm's length. I blamed it on it being dark. The maitre d' (who's a bit of a jackass which is part of why we keep going there) wordlessly handed me his pair. The first words out of my mouth were "I CAN SEE!"; honest surprise at the notion that I would need prosthetics of any sort.

It's not that big a deal (although it makes a huge difference when working with things up-close). While I will miss the larger field of vision I'm sure I will annoy fewer people in the subway by being able to hold my book closer than 14" to my face.

We're taking suggestions on an over/under for how many days before I lose / break them (although I've done pretty well with a $10 pair of sunglasses I bought at Rite Aid last year; maybe I'm ready for that pet rock after all ...)

No comments: